The foam tiles on the ceiling makes it veryquickly change the interior of the apartment, the budget means to update the situation, also perform the installation of the ceiling under the force of even a non-specialist. Panels of foam is very light, so it can work any person with them. They are moisture resistant, which allows their use for finishing ceilings in all rooms, including the kitchen, toilets and bathrooms.
Colours, shapes and three-dimensional patterns on the tilesceilings allow you to create any look, they can mimic the rough plaster in country style, luxury and stucco in the Rococo style, and caissons antique style. Any design request can be satisfied by using the foam ceiling tiles.
A necessary complement to such a ceiling aredecorative plinth, which closes joints and unevenness. If desired, they can be mounted LED strip for illumination. To foam not shone, after installing it, or water-based paint with acrylic paints.
Types of foam tiles
On sale are the following types of tiles for the ceiling of the foam:
- Pressed. To have a thickness of 7 mm.
- Injection. Have a thickness of 14 mm. Their foam manufactured by sintering at high temperature.
- Extruded. Are made extruded polystyrene mass, after which the tiles or painted or hooped film with a pattern.
Differ tiles and form. Most often, they are square with sides of 50 cm, but there are tiles in the form of rectangles, diamonds, regular hexagons (honeycomb). Also popular tiles, imitating the shape and coloring of the board-battens.
The face tiles can be smooth orhave relief, plain or upholstered film laminate. The film, like painting, can simulate the texture of stone, fabric, plaster, wood, stucco, or wood carving. Tiles with lamination used in areas designated under the kitchen. For bathrooms and toilets are more suitable panel with waterproof properties.
The main advantage of such a ceiling covering - glue the ceiling tiles from foam very easily, and to deal with that even an untrained person.
In addition, we note the following advantages:
- Low weight allows the use of tiles on the ceilings of any design.
- Tile has a sound- and heat-insulating properties, and is not afraid of changes in temperature and humidity.
- Small tiles weight makes it possible to use a simple adhesive, with no ultra-high strength and, consequently, higher prices.
- This coating allows the ceiling to save not only on the material, but also on the job - because it can be performed independently.
ATTENTION! The foam tiles on the ceiling can change the physical properties (oplavitsya) under the action of heat, so installing a powerful lights in the vicinity do not recommend it. It is best to use lamps, suspensions, and place them at least 20 cm from the surface of the tiles. hot water temperature resistant tiles without changing shape, so to contact with the tubes, on which there is heating, it can.
The tiles for the ceiling of the different foamproduction method, quality and price. Cheap tiles quickly turn yellow under ultraviolet light, and in some cases destroyed by damp. In order to protect it from light and moisture, enough to paint the ceiling-mounted water-based paint.
The main drawback - impermeability to vapormoisture. If you cover the foam tile ceiling in the room, whose walls are covered with vinyl wallpaper, the room will rise sharply humidity, which can lead to the appearance of the fungus.
Before you glue the tiles on the ceiling offoam, it is necessary to determine - how much and what kind of tile you will need, what do the calculation, purchase the necessary amount, and to prepare the surface of the ceiling of the installation.
- Method 1: Mathematics
To correctly calculate the number of tiles,required for the repair, it is necessary to know the length and width of the room. Multiplying these figures give the ceiling area, but to buy a tile based on only this number is not necessary. As part of the tiles may be corrupted when it is cut to the same shape of the ceiling is not ideal, inevitable cost overruns material. So be sure to contemplate the stock in an amount of not less than 15% of the total area.
For example, in a room the size of 2 × 3 meter areathe ceiling is 6 square meters. To cover 1 square meter should be 4 tiles standard size 50x50 cm. Thus, you will need 24 tiles for gluing all ceiling tiles and 2-3 as a reserve. All you need is to buy a 26-27 tiles.
- 2 method: paper
On a sheet of paper, you need to draw a plan of the room, while maintaining the scale. Next, you need to hold the diagonal and place with maximum precision tiles from the central part to the edges of the room.
If the walls of the gap will be equal to at least1/2 tile, then tiles will cover 1 piece 2 such period. If, however, the gap will be more than 1/2 of the tile, then it should be noted that the flow will go the whole tile.
Attaches foam tiles on the ceilingusing glue, and when you select it you need to know some of the subtleties. So, it is very important how quickly grasped glue, for what time it is completely dry and has some thickness. All this will affect the quality, speed, and time-consuming work.
- Choose a thick paste, it will not be "merged" withtiles and dirty. Glue "Moment-liquid nails", for example, has a suitable consistency, in addition hardens in 10 minutes - which means you do not have long standing with outstretched hands in the air in anticipation of the moment when it will be possible to release the tile. Moreover this glue consumption is small - on average, per square meter, or into four blocks, it takes about 6 ml. Thus for a medium-sized room only one tube of a capacity of 400 ml, but more profitable to take the tube of 450 ml - comes with such a gun, with which is easy to apply the adhesive, besides some margin is needed for bonding at the end of ceiling moldings.
- Another suitable adhesive - "Titan". It is very durable and quickly grasped, but its application is one subtlety: after applying the tiles it is necessary to make the place, and then remove and let stand for one minute in the air, and then re-attach to the same place and press firmly. The main difficulty in this case - just to get to the same place, especially at the beginning of the work.
- You can glue the ceiling tiles from foamusing cheaper adhesives, such as «Dragon», «Eltitans», «Power». They are made in China and are not of high quality. The main disadvantage of these adhesives - long open time, so I have a long time to stand with their hands up, which is quite difficult for untrained people.
Tools for working with foam tiles need a little, and they are readily available.
You will need:
- paint the cord to mark the ceiling before gluing;
- scissors or a special knife for mounting the cutting of tiles;
- spatula (and filler) for leveling the surface of the ceiling before gluing;
- roller coating and primer;
- thread, measuring tape and a pencil to mark the tiles;
- brush (or gun) for the glue, clean cloth to remove the excess.
Before you start working with the tiles for the ceiling of the foam, it is necessary to make the work surface preparation.
- Packaging tiles must be opened in a fewhours before the start of work. During this time, she will throw off the voltage distortion that occurs due zapakovyvaniya in polyethylene, and will take the temperature and humidity of the room where it will be glued.
- The old covering from the ceiling, you can not delete, ifit is smooth and strong, in other cases it is necessary to get rid of him. On the whitewashed tiles will not be held, it must be removed without fail.
- If the ceiling, there are significant defects - potholes, cracks, they should be zashpatlevat. Minor defects in the sealing of no need, they will close the tiles.
- Before you start to glue the tiles, ceilingYou need to be primed with a roller to ensure better adhesion of the two surfaces. Primer should dry for at least three hours, or even better - four. Then you can start counting.
Before you glue the tiles on the ceiling of the foam, it is necessary to identify, as it will be located. This is done as follows:
- Determine the center of the ceiling. For this corner of the room is carried out through the ceiling diagonally, and mark the center of the intersection. This should be done in any case, are you going to be glued tiles parallel walls, or diagonally thereto.
- On each of the walls, locate and mark the middle and pull the thread between the parallel walls - from one mark to the other. The thread must pass through a central point.
- Maybe the walls will be of different lengths, and thread shift - then we need to make a correction.
- As far-fetched yarns draw a line with a pencil - they will serves as a guide when gluing the tiles.
The tile can be pasted in rows, with the rowsoffset, parallel walls or in the diagonal direction. Glue is applied on the tile strips, leaving a half to two centimeters between them - otherwise the excess amount will be squeezed out by pressing and can get on the front side of the tile, ruining her appearance.
Laid the first tile on the foamceiling at any angle from the intersection point of the center axis. It must be firmly pressed to the surface and hold until the glue grabs. If the edges acts surplus adhesive mass, or remove it with a dry cloth or sponge. The second tile is glued back to back to the first in the second corner of the intersection of the axis. It is also held in place until the adhesive setting, then let go and move to continue the work.
TIP: Before you start using the tiles for the ceiling of the foam, make sure their edges, and if there are burrs, carefully cut off their sharp knife, otherwise the joints will be visible.
Work continued in a circle, starting from the center andmoving to the periphery of the ceiling. When the need arises, the tiles are cut, which makes pre-marking with a pencil. Cutting to perform better office knife.
ATTENTION! Do not forget to cut a hole in the center under the chandelier! After the pasting seal the joints, if they are visible. The easiest way to do this with a sealant made of acrylic. Upon completion of works allow the ceiling to dry during the day, and then cover with paint, latex or acrylic.
After painting is complete you can start gluing ceiling moldings. In this business there are tricks that make it easy to work:
- Keep baseboard near the wall harder than the tiles,because it has a greater length. Therefore smeared with glue and attached in place a plinth fixed small nails every two feet, driving them to the wall. In a day nails can be removed and the holes are repaired by an acrylic sealer.
- It is very difficult to dock part of the plinth,converging in the corners of the room. To make them look beautiful, it is necessary to use a miter box - special joinery device for cutting material at an angle. The angle is set at 45 degrees. After gluing plinth slots in the corners coat with acrylic sealer.
- The final stage of work - painting baseboards using a latex or acrylic paint.