Hedge is an alternativeordinary fence. It serves as a guardrail and frame houses adjoining the site, a popular part of landscape design. Organically blend into the surrounding space, hedge solves a lot of practical and decorative tasks, it becomes the perfect backdrop for the rest of the greenery.
Types of hedges
Classification of hedges based on the characteristics of selected plants: their shape, height, width, specific biological characteristics.
in form green fence divided into freely growing (molded) and cropped (molded).
- Freely growing occupy significantly more space but, unlike molded, timid not require constant attention and care. Trimming profusely plantings carried out only once a year.
- bobbedOn the contrary, requires regular care. Cropping allows you to keep the aesthetics of the partition of the "wall", to give it a clear geometric shape. After a few years, these hedges are fully neprosmatrivaemye and unpretentious.
Mowing fences of this type is selected withtaking into account the preferences of the owner and the types of plants used. Hedges can be rectangular, trapezoidal, triangular or circular shape. Based on them, you can experiment and create different landscape compositions.
Hedges are classified and adjustment. There are three types:
- curbs (up to a meter in height);
- living fences (from meter to two);
- living walls (height greater than two meters).
depending the complexity of the device, Hedges are one, two or three rows, or consisting of odnoporodnyh raznoporodnyh plants.
Two- and three-row planting deviceIt involves placing the plant in a few raznovysotnyh tiers. This combination allows for a spectacular appearance, quality protection from prying eyes.
There are also the following types of hedges:
- trellis with natural weave - Planting in a row with crossed with intertwining branches;
- trellis with artificial weave - Plantations, which shoots in contact spliced by artificial means;
- portableProviding temporary protective or decorative function;
- curlyRepresenting a flight of fancylandscape design. With topiarnogo art fence are made in a variety of images, shapes, forms, and sometimes even architectural monograms.
The specific use of hedges
Green fence solves a number of problems. The main ones are:
- design and zoning of the site;
- ensuring the protection of the environment, the impact of negative factors (noise, dust, wind, exhaust fumes, etc.);
- enclosure unsightly, unpresentable outbuildings.
Freely growing hedge rational use of the areas, the size of which allows them to accommodate. Molded type of fencing - ideal for compact spaces.
Borders often used as a decorative element, highlighting the paths to the house or making out flower beds and flower gardens. The living wall planted in the border area and provide high protection against wind and noise.
Fences of two or three rows meet asprotective and architectural and aesthetic requirements. Using plants of different species can create a semblance of tapestry - in landscaping houses adjoining the site, the composition will look noble and aristocratic.
Plants suitable for hedges
When choosing plants for hedges, first you must decide on its height.
For curbs suitable krasnolistnyh rose, goldencurrants, columnar juniper, purple barberry. Among flowering species can be distinguished Spiro Vangutta, mock orange, Amur lilac, heather, tree hydrangea and rose.
For hedges the average height of selected alpine currant, common barberry, hawthorn, cotoneaster, maple Ginnala, Canadian spruce, western thuja.
Living wall "Erect" of Lawson cypress, pine and fir barbed, Chinese and columnar junipers, western arborvitae, yews berry.
Freely growing green fence formed from smooth irgi, white dogwood, barberry Thunberg, Japanese Curry, Tartar honeysuckle, elderberry, rose, viburnum.
Multi-row hedges It looks great when used heterophyllous plants with contrasting colors, for example, krasnolistnyh beech, boxwood, hornbeam and bright green vines.
trellis with natural and artificial construct of interlacing shoots of willow, pear, hawthorn, elm and buckthorn.
Hedge: planting and care
Before you embark necessaryto deal with the peculiarities of the selected plant. Soil composition, rate of growth, the characteristic features of the crown, aesthetic compatibility - if not properly observing every nuance can get poor results.
Planting activities are organized in the period from April to June - for the types of bare-root, in August - for softwood, and from August to October - for hardwood.
Plants are put in prearranged trench. To hedge in a row, the width of the trench should not be less than 50 cm, two series -. 90 cm and 40 cm increase of the standard depth for each subsequent series of -.. 50-60 cm.
soil mixtureConsisting of topsoil, compost,fertilizers, poured into the pit, with the view of further subsidence of the substrate. Mounted pegs, pulled the rope necessary to ensure a smooth landing. Following the preparatory work, the pegs are removed and the plants begin planting.
Upon completion of landing operations, performed water irrigation with a dash of rooting stimulants, mulching the soil with peat or sawdust.
Care hedges reduced to regularwatering, hoeing, weeding, fertilizing and mowing. Such measures are aimed at the development of new shoots, enhancing the growth of plants and the preservation of its attractive appearance.